Thursday, May 31, 2012

Fresh Garden Salsa Recipe

I have taken and modified my brother Jeff's hot sauce recipe over the years.

3 cans Rotel tomatoes (reserve some juice)
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1/3 cup fresh chopped onion
1 1/2 - 2 tbs. chopped garlic
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes (gives it the heat)
3 dashes of chili powder
1/4 generous tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt (for taste, I use a little less)
1/2 tbs. lime juice
1/8 tsp. Tabasco sauce
splash of white wine vinegar

Pour all into a blender and blend (time will depend on your thickness preference) If its too thick and chunky for your liking, add some of the reserved tomato juice to thin it out.
Will make about a pint of salsa and will last about a week in the fridge.

So over the years I have made this salsa and don't use the recipe as it is.  I tend to add and taste the ingredients as I go, not really using actual measuring spoons.   What I plan on doing this time is using the tomatoes, cilantro, and onion from my garden.   I will throw the big ones on the grill and char them up to give the salsa a more smoky flavor.


Made a pint of the salsa in the Magic Bullet yesterday and Jennie and I polished it off in one sitting.



Get dirty and keep on gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment