Tuesday, July 8, 2014

It's finally starting to feel like summer.

So we finally are having consecutive days of temperatures in the 90's.  Cherry tomatoes and Bibb lettuce are still being gracious and supplying me with a harvest.  My Roma tomatoes are beginning to fruit and I expect to have some ready to eat in about two weeks. The other day as I was checking my plants I came upon this melon.  I didn't plant any melons and actually bought and planted cucumbers, but it looks like they were mislabeled. To get them off the ground I tied up a rope and wrapped the vines around them.  I also had to put up an a-frame that I was going to trash as a support wall for my Roma tomato plants to get them off the ground as well but to also open up my walk path between my beds. 




The old ash tree into back yard is still growing and providing shade to about 75% of my backyard.  This after two years ago a licensed arborist informed me that it was dying and wouldn't last much longer.


Today I also cleaned out some beds of dried cilantro, withered lettuce, and some weeds to get the beds ready for some July sowing.  Seeds to plant this month are cucumber, tomatillo, radishes, carrots, and sweet corn.  I was planning on sowing some sugar baby watermelons but I think I have enough melons already growing and don't think I have the space. 

Until next time,
Get dirty and keep on gardening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment