Monday, June 11, 2012

Zucchini Pizzas and Fried Green Tomatoes

So the other night I was a little too ambitious with my dinner plans.  I grilled sliced zucchini from my garden and charred some tomatoes.  I then mashed the tomatoes and placed the zucchini slices on a cookie sheet and covered them with the mashed tomatoes and some mozzarella and put it in the oven at a low temp to melt the cheese.  When it was ready, we sprinkled some chopped basil (from the garden) on top.
While that was in the oven, I was roasting some cabbage and bacon on the grill and frying up some green tomato slices in the kitchen.  After and hour and half of cooking, we finally were able to sit down and eat it all.  




Yesterday, I gave a pint size baskets of tomatoes to my neighbors along with a good size cucumber.  Afterwards, I checked the garden and harvested some more tomatoes (after throwing about a dozen of them in the compost pile... thanks to the stinking aphids), 2 peppers, and another large zucchini.  My backyard gardening neighbor gave us some "hot" jalapeno peppers, so I am thinking maybe now I should start learning how to pickle things and make some jalapeno jelly too.  



Running Total of  Summer 2012 Produce
cucumbers: 20
Tomatoes: 187.36 oz = 11.71 lbs
Zucchini: 4
Peppers:  2
Beans: handful of Lima bean pods


Get dirty and keep on gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment